|State or District||Lanzarote|
|Date of founding||2011/12/23|
|Number of members||max 10 coliving at a time, more possible (camping around the site)|
|Membership fee||100€/week including stay+food|
|Size of rooms||5000 m² (planned)|
|Open to Exchanges?||yes|
|Open to Residencies?||yes|
(You are at a community wiki entry for the Totalism Hackbase)
This site is only updated sometimes. For the latest information, see totalism.org !
If you're interested in Hackbases generally, also join #hackbases on Freenode IRC.
TOTALISM HACKBASE / Cyberhippietotalism is a tactical class platform, researching and building Hackbases = hacker live-in labs.
CHT#1 was set on Lanzarote, Canary Islands, from December 2011 - June 2014. The second hackbase restarted as a permanent temporary nomadic camp in November 2014.
Hackbases are a liquid ("come and go when you like"), permanent or temporary habitat for hacking, theory and avantgarde art, open to everyone. Unlike hackerspaces, this can enable:
- focused group work (week-long code sprints on open-source projects or startups)
- a full-time hacker lifestyle, because you live in a hackerspace and don't need to pay rent
- your cheap time off with hackers from all across the world
Established in 2011, the project has since become what you might expect from a hackerspace - electronics/DIY/hardware tools, stuff to hack, a server with local services, a complex network topology. The sleeping parts are as separated as architecturally necessary. It has hosted over 100 people so far.
We thought it would be a good idea to spend a full winter hacking in a 20°C+, year-long ocean swimming climate. And against The_Roommate_Anti-Pattern: while other hackerspaces are only places to go to "in your free time", CHT is a challenge to make hacking & creative work the main part of every day. It is a place to live, work and sleep, cook & eat nutritious food together every day, launch parties, and explore nature from. Like in 1972.
- CHT is an open space for everyone & accepting projects-residents all year long.
- 100+ people have stayed at the space, with 5.5 average in season#3a
- Non-profit, open budget
- The Lanzarote island has a well connected airport in Arrecife. Shuttle+flight from EU should be 50-100€
Support the space
If you think this makes sense
- become a member from anywhere in the world - see here .
- donations here.
- social media: Facebook and Twitter
- print the poster and hang it at your university or somewhere cool
- mail the project maintainers.
- CHT maps of European Cities (Lanzarote London Berlin Hamburg Amsterdam Brussels Paris Ljubljana ...)
- News reports:
- CHT Common Ground:
- Library Genesis book search